No Halloween is complete without a good dose of scary. Below you’ll find a list of my favorite horror movies, complete with trailer links.
1. The Lost Boys – Not just my favorite horror movie, but my favorite movie. I’m pretty sure I can quote this one word-for-word, start to finish. And while I’m not necessarily scared of it, the concept of sexy, punk-style vampires is quite appealing, and they’re actually REAL VAMPIRES. Kiefer Sutherland has never looked better.
2. House of 1,000 Corpses – Rob Zombie is awesome. This movie pokes fun at every cheesy horror archetype out there, but it’s done so well that you get sucked in and find yourself scared to death of what’s just around the next corner. Plus, the soundtrack is absolutely fabulous. Run, little rabbit…run for your life.
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors – One of the first horror movies I ever saw. It still gives me the creeps, watching the kids in front of that home, playing games and singing that song. Besides, what’s scarier than fighting against a bad guy that isn’t really there? How exactly do you kill what doesn’t exist.
And don’t any of you think for a second that I’m going to believe that Jason Vorhees – possibly the dumbest horror monster ever – is capable of doing it. NO WAY IN HELL. You don’t die as an 8-year-old kid and come back as an adult, hatchet-wielding psycho. It just don’t work, folks…
Ahem… moving on.
4. The Shining – So the Stanley Kubrick version doesn’t follow the book at all. I get that. But as a stand-alone piece of film history, it’s scary as sin. Possessed children, dead girls in the hallway, murdered women in bathtubs, AND a psychological breakdown all at one time? Yes, please. I’d like some more.
5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show – okay, this is SO not scary. At least, not in the sense we’re thinking. But not a Halloween has gone by since I was a kid that I didn’t watch this movie and find myself dancing along to The Time Warp. When you think about it, though… it is pretty scary. Pennywise in Women’s Underwear? Yeah.
It’s that time again! Tell me your favorite movie for a chance to win one of my books. And remember – get your comments in by midnight so they count!